Thursday, May 18, 2006
Guilt!
I would like to know where on earth people get this "guilt" skill. I can't make people feel guilty. My mother can, my grandmother has a gold medal in guilt giving, and my aunt...OMG she is the Guinness world record holder in guilt giving. But me... I didn't inherit that trait. Maybe it comes with age. Regardless, the vet I took my dog to this morning is totally in the lead right now. I should go straight to the trophy store and get the vet the biggest "You made me feel so guilty I spent hundreds of dollars for a "free" service I had already paid for" trophy they make!

A little back story...
When we got our dog we paid 75$ for "spay or neutering in the future." We received the dog, a collar, and a yellow sheet of paper to take to the vet when she was 6 months old. (And yes, she's only 5 months old, but her fascination with my husband's leg has prompted this move at 5 months instead of 6.) This magical yellow sheet of paper was to entitle us to a "free" spay or neutering." Personally, I think we paid the 75$ for the spay and neutering and got the dog for free, but whatever, it doesn't matter really.

So Hubby and I were thinking we were covered. All we have to do is drive her out there, drop her off, pet her head and go to work. Wrong! We get there and the vet decides that our yellow sheet of paper is a "coupon" to receive a "discount" on their services. It's going to cost extra for the IV fluids, pain meds, and laser treatment.

Hold up...

Laser treatment? WTF?

Hubby and I simultaneously, "What's a laser treatment?"

Well, evidentially vets no longer do the incision spaying unless you specifically ask for them to cut the animal. (And how harsh is that? It's not bad enough you know that they're going to hurt her, but you actually have to ask them to cut her. UGH!) They do the "laser treatment" for an EXTRA 100$ and to minimize the blood loss.

Hubby looks at me...I look at Hubby. Guilt ensues.

100$ plus this and this and that...250 dollars for everything. I mean, OMG. Guilt Guilt Guilt. And yet even more GUILT!

So hubby and I compromised. We decided that neither one of us would get the "laser treatment" for double the cost, so the dog shouldn't get it either. Instead we paid 18$ for the extra pain meds. We decided that was far more bang for the buck. It's what hubby and I would want.

And yet...right now while my dog is being cut open...I still feel GUILT.

Stupid vets. That's just owner cruelty. Where's the f'in bumper sticker for that?!!


4 Comments:

Blogger Luna said...

I totally understand your fustration. Everytime I take my dog intot he vet for some little thing the vet finds something that is a big thing. Needless to say I know hate taking her for the yearly physical, bloodwork and shots.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

About 15 years ago I paid $500 for a Chinese Sharpei. I took him to the vet for his intial "well visit" and turns out he had double pneumonia, a collapsed trachea and a multitude of other things. The vet suggested I contact the breeder to get my money back which I did. She volunteered to give me back my money but then said she was going to put the dog down to have him autopsied for research. F*** that! I got my money back, kept the dog and spent $2000 in vet bills. Dogs are not cheap but they repay you in so many ways! Love the blog and I got here via Paige's site! Have a great day!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool blog, interesting information... Keep it UP »

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer2.JPG